• Fri frakt över 499 kr
  • Egen produktutveckling
  •  tillverkning i sverige

can collagen protect your skin from the sun?

2020-06-01

Do you belong to those who do not want to use sunscreen due to all the added chemicals?

There are many natural ways to try to protect yourself from the sun's harmful UV radiation. One way is to eat fruits and vegetables becuse of its content of beta carotene and lycopene. Taking extra collagen supplements is another way to build up a defense in the skin.

What does collagen have to do with the summer sun? To understand the context, we need to take a look at how the skin is structured.

Our skin is our protection against external impact from microorganisms but also the sun's rays. UV rays penetrate deep into the skin and over time it damages the skin's collagen and elastin fibers, providing firmness, body and volume.

The skin consists of Epidermis, the outermost layer of the skin, Dermis (this is where most collagen is found) directly underneath and Hypodermis undermost (subcutaneous). When the UV rays pass through Epidermis, 95% of the UV rays are blocked. The remaining 5% is absorbed by the collagen found in the second layer, Dermis.

Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and acts as an "glue" that holds the body together (the word kòlla comes from Greek and means glue). However, the collagen in the body begins to reduce drastically at the age of 25.

If we have a lack of collagen, there is an overhanging risk of being burnt in the sun, which in turn leads to inflammation. Inflammation signals to the body to release enzymes that "chew" our collagen. This creates a cycle that makes us sensitive to wrinkle formation and skin changes. The good news is that a collagen supplement actually increases productions of the type of skin cells that are resistant to UV radiation.

This also means that a daily dose of collagen supplements will not only protect your skin from sun damage - but it will be a rebuild of the collagen that you already lost in the skin during sun exposure!

This site uses cookies, by continuing you agree to the use of cookies. Read more about cookies and our integrity policy.